Sometimes I wonder how we navigated prior to GPS devices in our cars. In the past, when someone gave me directions, it would result in a long, hand written list. Now all I need do is ask for an address and the GPS does the rest. We bought our first GPS at an RV show over ten years ago. The devices were designed specifically for RVing and it was outstanding. Since it was a stand-alone unit, we used it in both our cars and RV.
When our first unit needed replacing, we purchased another stand-alone unit. The company that made our first unit had gone out of business, and until four years ago, we used a series of Garmin devices. In 2014 we bought a new Honda Odyssey with a built-in GPS. We actually liked the way the Garmin worked better, but the convenience of the large, built-in screen was a definite plus.
A downside to using in-car GPS was the inability to make routing changes while driving unless you use voice commands, which we found overly cumbersome. We do not rely solely on the built in GPS for accurate navigation – we never leave on a lengthy trip without a backup system of paper maps. We also supplement the in-car GPS with the Maps and WAZE apps on my iPhone. Apple Maps (or the alternative Google Maps) helps keep me oriented with our exact location and assist in finding an alternate routes in heavy traffic. WAZE (published by Google) is a crowd sourced app – people who use the app report current traffic conditions that are posted on the app for everyone to see. When highway traffic starts to slow down, I immediately check WAZE to see what is happening on the road ahead (construction, accident, or just heavy traffic) and how long ago it was reported. Every time we head south on I-75, we check WAZE to see what lies ahead and if we need to find an alternative route.
A GPS has become so vital that when we bought our new Tiffin Wayfarer last September, we passed on the first motor home we liked, because it did not have a built-in GPS. Then, in December, just before the holidays, we decided to trade our Odyssey for a 2019 model. Initially we wanted a built-in GPS, but instead we opted for a model with CarPlay (it also features Android Auto, a similar system for users of Android phones). The systems interfaces the mobile phone with the car’s computer system, displaying a stripped-down version of the phone screen. It enables drivers and passengers to access music, navigation, phone calls and text messages. Maps and directions can be viewed on the car display screen and controlled with voice commands or the car’s touch screen.
My biggest concern with opting for CarPlay over a built-in GPS was data usage on my phone. Eddie and I have an ATT Mobile Share Advantage plan with 6GB of monthly data for both our phones. We also have “rollover,” so that data not used one month rolls over to the next month. I was nervous that using the iPhone for navigation would use too much data, but I did some research and everything I read said that very little data is used in phone-based navigation.
Over the holidays we travelled north to New York and Virginia and visit family in our new Odyssey, and it was a perfect opportunity to evaluate CarPlay as a built-in GPS alternative. As I write this we are still in Virginia, with one leg of our trip left to navigate. We don’t have a definite answer on whether or not we like using CarPlay better than a built-in system, but I do have some observations.
My nervousness about using too much data was unfounded. The data usage during navigation was negligible and will not be a problem, and I definitely like being able to plan the routes on my phone before we leave the house. Sitting in the passenger seat, I can also make changes in a route without being locked out of the system while the car is in motion. The car’s display screen shows the map and directions very clearly, including which lane to use and when turns and exits are coming up. One downside to using the Apple Maps app is that it does not allow you to enter stops along a route – it only works from point A to point B. An alternative is Google Maps, which does let you add stops, but for some unknown reason, I have been having problems using it as soon as we leave a wifi environment. I will keep working on Google Maps and will report back in a later column.
As a final note, another advantage of CarPlay is that new text messages can actually be read aloud and phone calls are broadcast through the car’s audio system. You can even answer and send a reply with your voice. These are much needed safety features in an era when many people (including senior citizens) are focusing too much attention on their small screen phones while driving.
Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment