If you read last weeks column, I hope you have begun to change your online passwords and making them more secure. But how are you going to remember all these new passwords? Even following last week’s recommendation, using mnemonics can quickly become overwhelming. I added up all the passwords that are important to my husband and me, including ones used sporadically and some created for one-time use, and I counted over 200 passwords. Not too many years ago I kept an alphabetized notebook of all our passwords and it was a big relief when I found an alternative – a password manager. But what is a password manager and how does it work?
Password managers store and retrieve login information for all your online accounts. They utilize a downloaded app on your computer and mobile devices as well as plugin extension browsers. You need only enter a password before using the password manager, and that is the only password you have to remember. All the others will be stored securely in the password manager. Each password manager has its own method for entering credentials, and most of them allow for importing credentials from other sources, such as other password managers and spreadsheet files.
Once installed, the browser plug-in automatically fills in the username and password associated with the websites you visit. The more sophisticated data managers require a yearly subscription fee, almost all offer a free trial, and some offer a free version with limited features. A key feature to look for in a password manager is the ability to sync passwords across all your devices, regardless of the operating system. Other advanced features include the ability to enter passwords for applications, not just websites, and the inclusion of a password generator that can create long and complicated passwords.
The password manager we have been using for the past several years is Keeper, from Keeper Security, Inc. (keepersecurity.com). Included is unlimited password storage, syncing across all our devices, secure cloud backup, fingerprint login for newer devices and even password generation. We use the Keeper app on all our devices, making it easy to make additions and updates. Updates made to one device are automatically sync to all the other devices in a matter of seconds. The Keeper plugin on our browsers requires password activation each time the browser is launched, as does the app on our iPhones and iPads. I have the fingerprint option turned on for my devices, and when I open the Keeper app, I hold my finger over the Home button on my iPhone or iPad to effortlessly unlock it.
Another feature I really like about this app is that you can store more than just login information and passwords. Each record allows the creation of multiple, unique fields. As an example, many sites require security questions, and I can create a field for questions and answers as needed. I can easily store customer care phone numbers, the emails we have on file and any other unique information. For us, Keeper acts as a security vault for vital information. You can also create folders in the app for organizing entries. What would happen if one of my devices fell into the wrong hands? The Keeper Security does not keep a record of master passwords, and only five attempts at entering a password are allowed and then all of the information stored on the device is erased.
While writing this article I came across an excellent 2018 review of password managers on the PC Magazine website, PCmag.com. The review covers ten paid password managers, selecting four as Editors’ Choice. The price of subscriptions for the reviewed password managers are from $12 to $40. The one we use is $30 a year for one user and $59 for up to five users. The article includes a link to free password managers, but the only one that offers advanced features, including syncing across devices, is LastPass (lastpass.com) It can only be used by one user and does not work with applications, but you can upgrade to a paid version for additional features.

No comments:
Post a Comment