Our visit to Hawaii has been perfect. Our granddaughters are so much fun, and have an abundance of energy. We've been spending every minute we can with them, and yesterday was the first chance I had to use the Kingston Wi-Drive (pronounced wee-drive) I wrote about in the January 24 OnMouseClick.
The drive provides portable, wireless storage for mobile devices, and is the perfect solution for an avid photographer, like me, traveling with only a tablet computer. It provides additional storage, allowing the user to free up space on mobile devices. The Wi-Drive come in 32 and 64 gigabyte capacities, works with iPhones, iPads, Android devices, and the Kindle Fire, and creates its own wireless network. When accessed through an app installed on the mobile device, a pathway is created for photos, videos and music to transfer from the mobile device to the Wi-Drive, and from the drive to the mobile device.
The actual wireless transfer of several hundred photos from my iPad to my 64GB Wi-Drive took only a few minutes. Before making the transfer, I looked through the photos on the iPad and deleted the ones that were not worth saving. Once the transfer was completed, I was able to go back to the iPad and delete the majority of the images to free up storage space, keeping only the photos I want as part of my iPad photo album. Once we get back to Florida I will be able to use a USB cable to transfer the photos directly to my computer for sorting and editing.
The Wi-Drive drive is small and compact, and has a rechargeable battery that is good for up to four hours of continuous use. Included is a mini-USB to USB cable and an AC wall adapter. The drive can be charged by connecting it to a computer with the USB cable, or by plugging the cable into the AC adapter.
Last summer I read a review of the Wi-Drive, and while I found it intriguing, I was put off by the $144.95 list price. However, I was able to purchase the 64GB drive from Amazon for a $84.99, with the 32GB model priced at $78.65.
Aloha.

No comments:
Post a Comment