As an avid photographer I like to have a camera with me at all times. On a "photo shoot" I use my DSLR (digital single lens reflex camera), but at all other times I carry a point and shoot in my pocket or purse. That is until last December, when I got an iPhone 5, one of the new breed of smartphones that support high quality cameras. I still use my point and shoot on occasion, but over time I find myself using the iPhone as my go-to camera for taking spontaneous photographs.
As a side note, most smartphone cameras have a variety of high-end features in common. As I am not one of the paid technology columnist who receive demos from manufactures, I am limited to reporting first-hand on what I actually own, and on research for competitive models. Last September CNET (reviews.cnet.com), an excellent website for all things technology, compared the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3 with the iPhone 5. The overall conclusion placed the iPhone first for overall photographic quality, followed closely HTC and Samsung. The features on all three phones include: an 8-megapixel, backlit sensor; large aperture; little or no shutter-lag and shot to shot recovery; an LED flash; HDR (high dynamic range) mode; digital zoom; and image stabilization for video recording. Both the HTC and Samsung also feature scene modes, a feature not found on the iPhone, but according to the review, one that did not make much difference in the overall quality of the photos.
My experience is that the iPhone 5's five-element sapphire-crystal lens produces excellent photos. Taking a picture is as easy as pointing the camera at a subject and taping the screen. If the scene has uneven lighting, tap a dark area of the screen, and the light sensor will adjust the exposure for that area of the image. The camera includes a grid option which turns on a three by three grid to aid in image composition, and a digital zoom that works by placing two fingers on the screen and pulling them apart.
The feature I use the most is HDR, or high dynamic range. With HDR photography, I can take three successive photos at different exposures – underexposed, overexposed, middle exposure – and combines them into one image that is closer to what the human eye sees. The three images are snapped in rapid sequence, and there is no noticeable shutter lag. The flash is automatically turned off when HDR is turned on, and I keep it turned on unless I am in an extremely low-light situation.
Panorama is a software-based feature that was added to the operating system update introduced with the iPhone 5. This feature, which also works on the iPhone 4S, combines together up to a 360° image when you hold the camera in portrait mode and turn slowly. The phone even tells you to slow down if you are turning too fast. While there are a variety of third-party apps available for creating panoramic images, the new, built-in feature produces excellent quality photos with the minimum of fuss.
Finally, making videos is as easy as snapping a still photo. Simply swipe a slider from still to video and tap the screen to start recording. It is very comfortable to take video holding the phone in portrait mode, and at a 1080 pixel-resolution with built-in image stabilization, the results are excellent. In addition an added feature is the ability to snap still photos during video recording.
I am sure by now you have noticed that I have not mentioned tablet devices. Most tablet devices, with the exception of the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, feature rear-facing cameras, but my personal preference is to use my iPhone for taking picture. The image sensors on most of the tablets are of lower resolution than their companion smartphones, and I find taking photos with a tablet extremely awkward. I have also omitted discussing the front-facing cameras designed for video chatting (the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire do feature front-facing cameras). These cameras, in both smartphones and tablets, are of a lower resolution than rear cameras, but they adequately serve the purpose of live video chats.
Using a smartphone camera is is easy and fun, but it is how the smartphone post-processes images that really demonstrate their excellent results. Next week in OnMouseClick I will write about how smartphones natively process images, and what apps you can use to make your images better. Visit my photoblog at www.digitalquinn.com/photoblog for examples of iPhone photography.
More information on the HDR mode on the iPhone & Android phones.

No comments:
Post a Comment