Friday, February 10, 2012

What my iPad can do…

**A caveat about iPads, and tablet computers in general. Apple's iPad is by far the most popular of the new breed of tablet computers, but it is by no means the only tablet on the market. I am writing about the iPad, because that is what I use. Also, in this column I will be referring to APPS, which are small software applications designed for use on smart phones and tablet computers.**
Today, as I prepared to write this column, I received the March issue of MACWORLD magazine, and coincidentally this month's lead article is "iPad at Work: Is the iPad Ready to Replace your Laptop?" The magazine answers that the iPad is not quite ready to replace the laptop, but it comes pretty close. 
As I have written before, I have an Amazon Kindle eReader, which is an exceptional device for reading books that do not have a lot of graphics. The Kindle is small, lightweight, and the screen can be read in the brightest sunlight. For other types of reading the iPad is far superior. Last year I subscribed to the New York Times on my Kindle, and a new issue was downloaded each morning. Now, with the New York Times app installed on my iPad, news stories are updated several times a day. Magazines that are available for the iPad are interactive, often including video content as well as text and images.
Every year when we pack out RV for the winter months, I fill an entire cabinet with reference books on digital imaging, web design and book art. I am looking forward to replacing many of these book with iPad versions — literally putting the reference material at my fingertips and freeing up some much needed storage space.
I mentioned in last week's column that I started a recipe file on my laptop using the database program BENTO. In addition to the computer version of BENTO (it is an Macintosh only product) there is an app version for both the iPad & iPhone, with files synchronizing across devices. When I first set up the database on my laptop, I would move my laptop to the kitchen table when I wanted to use a recipe. Now  I have my recipes files on the iPad, which it is much more convenient and takes up less space. I also don't have to worry about touching my laptop keyboard with messy fingers. If I get my iPad touchscreen dirty, I just wipe it clean. 
I also use Bento to keep track of our RV travels. I make a record of every campground and service station we visit, with rating information that we use when we pass that way again. Having copies of the database on both my iPad and iPhone makes it very easy to search for the appropriate records while traveling.
I keep a spreadsheet on my laptop for our medical records. The spreadsheet software is another Macintosh only program, NUMBERS (EXCEL compatible), with an iPad app version. With the spreadsheet on my iPad it is much easier to keep track of doctors appointments and prescription purchases. I am writing this column on the iPad, using the app version of PAGES, the APPLE word processor I use on my MacBook (Microsoft Word compatible), and a wireless keyboard that makes typing on the iPad much easier than using the on-screen keyboard.
Of course, I use the iPad for email, web surfing, weather forecasting, and game playing. Sudoko, solitaire, backgammon, and Angry Birds are fun to play on the iPad, and I have a large selection of learning games for our almost three-year-old granddaughter. I highly recommend ANOTHER MONSTER AT THE END OF THE BOOK, and interactive games featuring ELMO and GROVER from Sesame Street. Brianna loves them and her increasing understanding of the iPad touch screen is very exciting to watch.

No comments: