Friday, January 20, 2012

Click the Like Button…

I am postponing for another week a column on video chat. I had some technical difficulties and did not resolve all the specifics of using video chat programs before writing the column. Stay tuned — I plan to write about video chat next week.

Meanwhile, I realized that there is one very important FACEBOOK feature that I did not cover in the last two columns — the LIKE button. With the LIKE button you can let your FACEBOOK FRIENDS know that you enjoy their comments, without leaving a comment of your own. Once you LIKE something, your friend will get notification that you liked the post. Examples of things you might like are family pictures, funny videos, political quotations, and personal comments from a friend to you. 
There is a second kind of LIKE in FACEBOOK, and that is LIKING a business page, also known as a FAN PAGE. A FAN PAGE can be the page of an actual business (such as Travelers Rest Resort), an entertainment venue (a movie, TV show, radio show, or a podcast), an informational website, a magazine, or even a celebrity. You may have been invited to visit a FAN page when you listened to a radio or television program. FAN PAGES have a LIKE button at the top of the page. Click on the LIKE and you become part of the FAN community with access to updates and messages from the page owner, and the chance to post comments on the page. 
If you no longer wish to receive updates from a particular FAN PAGE, you can UNLIKE the page by going to FAN PAGE and scrolling down the left-side of the page until you see UNLIKE. Click it and you will no longer receive updates. 
In other technology news, since Christmas I am the proud owner of an Apple iPad2. Having a tablet doesn’t take the place of my laptop, but it is a wonderful complement to my digital world. Later this winter I plan to write about life with my MacBook Pro laptop, iPad2, iPhone 4, Amazon Kindle, and two digital cameras. 
If you have been using FACEBOOK and have questions, please do not hesitate to email me at onmouseclick@digitalquinn.com.

No comments: